Details about our 2016 Veggie Box program is now available!
Summer Veggie Box runs June 16-Oct. 27 and Fall Veggie Box program runs Nov. 3 – Dec. 22. We are offering rolling enrollment for the Summer Veggie Box, prorated to the week you sign up.
Sign up for a subscription to local, seasonal & sustainably-grown veggies & food products, all from Mid-Michigan farmers!
Interested in bring fresh, local food to your workplace? Please click here.
Thank you for your interest in supporting mid-Michigan farmers & food producers! The Veggie Box program provides a convenient means of obtaining fresh, high quality, locally grown & produced foods. Our goal is to ease the amount of effort involved with eating healthy and consciously by bringing the farmer’s bounty to you. Each week, we purchase the best in-season produce from an array of local farmers, pack it into a convenient box, and either deliver your box directly to your workplace or have it available for pick-up at the Allen Market Place. We source our products from local growers & producers in Mid-Michigan who utilize sustainable growing practices and stringent food safety measures, so we can ensure a safe and healthy product for you and your family that is also good for the environment. Each box includes a newsletter with healthy recipes utilizing the produce, a bio of the farmers providing the various items, and preparation tips for featured vegetables.
We offer two seasons:
- Summer Veggie Box & add-on items run for 20 weeks, June 16 – October 27.
Summer Veggie Box costs $400, plus the cost of Summer Add-On Items.
Summer Veggie Box includes a seasonal assortment of fresh, locally grown vegetables & fruits such as: asparagus, cooking greens, salad mix, lettuce, peas, radish, okra, herbs, beets, carrots, cabbage, green beans, peppers, kohlrabi, tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, sweet corn, onions, winter squash, potatoes, garlic, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, apples, and more.
*Some crops may be unavailable due to adverse weather conditions or other factors outside our control.
- Fall Veggie Box & add-on items run for 8 weeks, November 3 – December 22.
Fall Veggie Box costs $160, plus the cost of Fall Add-On Items.
Fall Veggie Box includes a seasonal assortment of fresh, locally grown vegetables & fruits such as: onions, potatoes, winter squash, kale, collards, Swiss chard, salad mix, lettuce, garlic, apples, cabbage, carrots, beets, turnips, herbs, and more. *Some crops may be unavailable due to adverse weather conditions or other factors outside our control.
In addition to fresh, local produce, we also offer optional add-on items of other locally produced foods to further increase the diversity of items in your box. You can select multiple shares of each add-on item.
- Brown Eggs: 1 dozen every other week, $38 for ten distributions (Summer); $15.20 for four distributions (Fall). From Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI), a multi-farm cooperative of small to mid-sized local farmers who are dedicated to raising healthy, happy hens! Pasture raised and cage-free, these brown eggs are a delicious, healthy source of locally produced protein.
- Bread: 1 loaf every week, $110 for twenty distributions (Summer); $44 for eight distributions (Fall). From Stone Circle Bakehouse (Holt, MI). Owner, Kevin Cosgrove, is committed to producing delicious artisan bread that is gently mixed, slowly fermented, hand-shaped, and baked in a wood-fired oven.
- Coffee Beans (whole): 1 pound bag of whole beans bi-weekly or monthly, $180 for ten bi-weekly distributions or $90 for five monthly distributions (Summer); $72 for four bi-weekly distributions or $36 for two monthly distributions (Fall). From Rust Belt Roastery (Lansing, MI). With an antique Italian roaster from the 1930’s, Paul & Emily Nicholls offer wood-roasted coffee that is delicious, Certified Fair Trade and Organic, and from 1 of only 8 wood-roasted coffee producers in the U.S.!
- Cheese: ½ pound every other week, $82 for ten distributions (Summer); $32.80 for four distributions (Fall). From Hickory Knoll Creamery (Onondaga, MI). For 15 years, Mike Metzger and Rusty Plummer have been creating delicious, artisan, pasture-raised cow & goat cheeses at their farmstead where both the milk and the cheese are produced. Cheeses include a variety of Tommes, sharp cheddar, Kronberg (Appenzeller-style Swiss), Poitou (Raclette-style), and mozzarella.
- Dry Black Beans: 1 pound bag monthly, $15 for five distributions (Summer); $6 for two distributions (Fall). From Calico Fields Farm (Grand Ledge, MI). With six generations of family farming, the Winters Family has 90 acres on two centennial family farms. They are excited about expanding production and transitioning to Certified Organic.
- Fruit Pie of the Month:one 9’’ pie monthly, $65 for 5 distributions (Summer); $26 for two distributions (Fall). From Glory Bee Sweet Treats (Mason, MI). Owner, Diane Allarding, uses high quality ingredients to create delicious, assorted varieties of fruit pies which you will look forward to each month.
- Meat Variety: 1 package of frozen meat every week, $198 for twenty distributions (Summer); $88 for eight distributions (Fall). From producers dedicated to raising their animals humanely to produce the healthiest, tastiest product possible. From Stone E. River Ranch (Eagle, MI), Trillium Wood Farm (Williamston, MI), Heffron Farms (Belding, MI), and Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI). Summer items include one pound packages of pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), Hot Italian sausage (no additives), bratwurst, ground lamb, ground beef, chicken wings, chicken leg & thigh, and you will also receive larger items, such as: half chicken, boneless chuck roast, and whole chicken. Fall items include one pound packages of pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), ground lamb, chicken leg & thigh, ground beef, and you will also receive larger items such as: boneless chuck roast, and whole chicken.
- Chicken Only: 1 package of frozen chicken every other week, $143 for ten distributions (Summer); $61 for four distributions (Fall). From Stone E. River Ranch (Eagle, MI) and Trillium Wood Farm (Williamston, MI). Summer items include: whole chicken, chicken wings, chicken breast, leg & thigh, and half-chicken. Fall items include: whole chicken, chicken breast, leg & thigh, and half-chicken.
- Beef Only: 1 package of frozen beef every other week, $123 for ten distributions (Summer); $56 for four distributions (Fall). From Heffron Farms (Belding, MI). Originally settled in 1921 by Thomas and Cecelia Heffron, they are in their fourth generation of being good stewards of the land. Summer & Fall items include ground beef, ground beef patties, boneless chuck roast, and beef brisket.
- Pork Only: 1 package of frozen pork every other week, $103 for ten distributions (Summer); $41 for four distributions (Fall). From Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI). Summer items include: pork chops, boneless pork loin, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), spare ribs, hot Italian sausage (no additives), pork shoulder, and bratwurst. Fall items include: pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), and pork shoulder.
Schedule, Cost & Payment
- The Summer Veggie Box program and Add-On Items will run for a twenty week session, June 16 –October 27. Summer Veggie Box costs $400 plus the cost of summer add-on items. Full payment for Add-On Items is due no later than May 26, 2016, payable by Check and Credit only.
- The Fall Veggie Box program and Add-On Items will run for an eight week session, November 3 – December 22. Fall Veggie Box costs $160 plus the cost of fall add-on items. Full payment for Add-On Items is due no later than October 13, 2016, payable by Check and Credit only.
There are two payment options for Veggie Box:
- Lump Sum – Pay your whole balance at the start of the program. Check and Credit only, due no later than May 26, 2016 (for Summer Veggie Box), and October 13, 2016 (for Fall Veggie Box). You are responsible for paying for each share, even if you miss a pick up
- Weekly SNAP Payments – For SNAP payments only. Pay at the point of pick-up for your share. This payment option is only available to individuals who pick-up their Veggie Box at the Allen Market Place on Thursdays 12-6pm, and pay with SNAP. $40 deposit (payable by Check or Credit) due no later than May 26, 2016 (for Summer Veggie Box), and October 13, 2016 (for Fall Veggie Box). The $40 deposit will be forfeited if you drop out mid-season; otherwise deposit will be applied to the final weeks of the Veggie Box season. Weekly SNAP payments are not accepted for add-on items; the full cost of the add-ons is due with the deposit. You are responsible for paying for each share, even if you miss a pick up. SNAP can only be accepted at point-of-sale (not in advance or after).
We accept payment by check or by credit card (Visa & MasterCard) by phone.
*Checks made payable to: Allen Neighborhood Center (Veggie Box in the memo line). Drop off or mail to: 1611 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48912
Delivery & Pick-Up
We will deliver your freshly packed Veggie Box to your workplace on Thursdays between 3pm-5pm (we ask for a minimum of five Veggie Box orders per workplace in order to make a delivery) or you may pick up at the Allen Market Place on Thursdays between 12pm-6pm. Produce will be packaged in a reusable box labeled with your name. Temperature controlled items (meats, eggs) will be placed in a cooler or refrigerator, depending on the resources available at your workplace. Empty boxes must be returned to your delivery site each week by delivery time so they may be picked up and reused. Reusing boxes ensures a low environmental impact and helps us to minimize program costs.
We have enlisted the services of Go Green Trikes in order to ensure that member subscriptions are safely & reliably delivered. Go Green Trikes is a Lansing based delivery company that utilizes tricycles and cargo bikes as a green, efficient mode of local transport. Don’t worry- inclement weather won’t stop these sturdy trikes! By using Go Green Trikes we can further minimize fuel costs and environmental impact as well as keep more local dollars in the community.
* The Allen Market Place does not provide make-up deliveries or pick-ups. We recommend you coordinate with a co-worker or friends who will pick-up your box in the case of your absence.
About the Allen Market Place
The Allen Market Place is Mid-Michigan’s premier food hub, housing the Exchange, our online wholesale market for local foods, licensed incubator kitchens, and a year round farmers market. The Allen Market Place is an enterprise of the Allen Neighborhood Center, a non-profit organization working to strengthen mid-Michigan’s local food system since 1999. Our goal is to strengthen the relationship between our community and our farmers and food producers. We provide full transparency and traceability, sharing the stories of local farms and processors. We offer farmers additional markets for their products, fair pricing, and a wide range of educational opportunities including ongoing technical assistance, marketing, and business development.
If you would like to become a member, you can mail or drop off a completed and signed copy of the mail-in application & agreement to Allen Neighborhood Center, 1611 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48912 (Attn: Allen Market Place Veggie Box) or complete our online application, available at http://tinyurl.com/jzwsbjk.
If you have any questions, contact John McCarthy at 517-999-3923 or email@example.com